Problem Statement Formats
Existing product problem statement elements (1, pg 25)
- The current goals of the product or system
- The problem the business wants addressed (i.e. where the goals aren’t being met)
- An explicit request for improvement that doesn’t dictate a specific solution
[Our service/ product] is intended to achieve [these goals].
We have observed that the product/ service isn't meeting [these goals] which is causing [this adverse effect] to our business.
How might we improve [service/ product] so that our customer are more successful based on [these measurable criteria]?
Template (1, pg 26)
New product problem statement elements (1, pg 27)
- The current state of the market
- The opportunity the business wants to exploit (i.e. where the current solutions are failing)
- A strategic vision for a product or service to address the market gap
The current state of the [domain] has focused primarily on [customer segments, pain points, etc]
Our product/ service will address this gap by [vision/ strategy]
Our initial focus will be [this segment]
Template (1, pg 27)
- Lean UX by Jeff Gothelf